The Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne was constructed as a memorial to the men and women of the state of Victoria who served in WW1 and is now a memorial to every Australian who have served in war time. The Shrine is one of the largest war memorials in the country and is built in a classical style, being based on the Tomb of Mausolus at Halicarnassus and the Parthenon in Athens.
The sanctuary contains the marble Stone of Remembrance, upon which is engraved the words “Greater love hath no man”.
Once a year, on the 11th of November at 11 a.m., which is Remembrance Day, a ray of sunlight shines through an aperture in the roof to light up the word “Love” in the inscription.
Beneath the sanctuary lies the crypt, which contains a bronze statue of a soldier father and son, and panels listing every unit of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF).
The Shrine went through a prolonged process of development which began in 1918 with the initial proposal to build a Victorian memorial.
General Sir John Monash used the 1927 ANZAC Day march to garner support for the Shrine, and finally won the support of the Victorian government later that year. The foundation stone was laid on the 11th of November 1927, and the Shrine was officially dedicated on the 11th of November 1934.